History of the Church in Thailand
CHURCH MILESTONES IN THAILAND
- A.D. 1238 - Sukothai, first Thai kingdom
- 1782 - Sukothai renamed Siam.
- 6 Apr. 1854 - First missionary Elder Elam
Luddington, arrives in Bangkok.
- 1939 - Siam renamed Thailand, or Muang Thai in
the language, which means Land of the Free."
- 27 Mar. 1966 - Thailand District organized to
meet the needs of American servicemen.
- 2 Nov. 1966 - Elder Gordon B. Hinckley of the
Quorum of the Twelve dedicates Thailand.
- 2 Feb. 1968 - President Keith E. Garner of the
Southern Far East Mission leads the first six missionaries (shown
above) to serve in Thailand. Top row: Craig G. Christensen, Larry
R. White, Peter W. Basker; bottom row: Alan H. Hessw Robert W.
Winegar, L. Carl Hansen.
- 30 Nov. 1968 - Elder Ezra Taft Benson of the
Quorum of the Twelve visits the king of Thailand.
- Nov. 1969 - Thailand becomes part of the
Southeast Asian Mission.
- 28 June 1973 - Thailand Bangkok Mission created.
- Aug. 1974 - First chapel dedicated in Bangkok.
- Dec. 1974 - Thailand has 300 members and 50 full
time missionaries serving in nine branches.
- 1976 - Book of Mormon published in the Thai
language. 170 missionaries serve in more than twenty branches. (A
quota on North American missionaries has reduced the number to 100
- 1985 - The government rules that missionanes
have to leave the country every ninety days to extend their visas.
- 1988 - Anan Eldredge becomes the first Thai
mission president of the Thailand Bangkok Mission.
- 1990 - First Thai excursion to the Manila
- July 1991 - Larry R. White, one of the onginal
six missionaries to Thailand becomes president of the Thailand
- 7 June 1992 - Elders Neal A. Maxwell and Russell
M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve bestow apostolic blessings
on the country.
- Sept. 1992 - The requirement that missionaries
leave Thailand every ninety days to renew their visas is
- July 1994 - Troy L. Corriveau, who was the tenth
missionary called to Thailand and a member of the first Book of
Mormon translating comrnittee, becomes new president of Thailand
- 18 June 1995 - Bangkok Thailand Stake
organized--the first stake in Thailand.