News Item: Letter from President & Sister Horne
Displaying 1 - 1 of 1 -- Add News
June 3, 2003
Thanks to many of you for keeping us informed?as you know we love hearing about your lives. We are so proud of you and your progress.
We came on our Church Education Mission on November 13, therefore our 18 month mission was complete on May 13. Our replacement couple could not come until May 30, so we were going to train them on May 30, June 1, 2, 3, and travel back to Washington on June 4. We have loved this mission, but not as much as our first mission (CDNM). Things changed dramatically.
The month of May and this first part of June have been a very different time for us. We have enjoyed good health for many years, especially Sister Horne, but life changed as of May 5.
On May 5 Sister Horne had some minor aches in her shoulders and neck. When this persisted until about 11:00 a.m., she decided to see the nurse in the Church Office Building. Together they made the decision to have her go to the doctor. We made an appointment for 3:00 p.m. The doctor did an EKG and put her in the hospital. The cardiologists did an angiogram and discovered serious heart problems. On Friday she had a double by pass because one of the main arteries (vessels) in the heart was 80 % occluded (blocked).
She was allowed to go home to our missionary apartment on Wednesday, May 14. On Saturday May 17, she was readmitted to the hospital with a stroke (part of her eyesight was missing?thank goodness only a small part) and clots in her lungs. She was treated for both and released to go to our apartment on Wednesday, May 21. Her eyesight in the one little area has not returned.
Saturday, May 24, she had a heart attack and was readmitted to the hospital. One of the by passes constricted and was allowing almost no blood to flow. They did a second angiogram and put in stints to keep the blood flowing in the graphs (the by passes). She was sent home on Thursday evening May 29.
Friday, May 30, she had another heart attack and was readmitted to the hospital. One of the stints did not function properly and partially collapsed. The cardiologists have decided to not try and put in another stint but will let a small part of the heart die (when she is recovered from all this, she should be able to live a fairly normal life). She has been in the hospital in intensive care until yesterday (now she is in the cardiac part of the hospital) awaiting another operation. Today or tomorrow she will have a little hole in her heart repair (closed up). We are not sure when she will be released from the hospital?hopefully Thursday, June 5 or Saturday, June 6.
We are currently debating whether to move to Salt Lake City or live in Washington. We are leaning toward buying a condo in Salt Lake City. The physicians in the LDS hospital know Sister Horne so well, and we have some of our children in the area, many of our extended family, and we get to see a number of you missionaries at times.
The Lord bless you. We love you deeply. President and Sister Horne
List All | Add News