Webmaster Agreement Policy (WAP)
LDS Mission Network (LDSMN) is currently one of the most visited mission-related hubs on the Internet, providing mission Web page indexing and PURL service, homepage building and Web community services, cutting-edge database programs and more. LDSMN helps each individual user locate, retrieve and manage information tailored to his or her personal interests. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new Products and Services (as defined below), including the addition of new LDS Mission Network properties shall be subject to these Terms and Conditions.
LDSMN makes available a variety of products and services (collectively, the "Products and Services") subject to these General Terms and Conditions ("Terms and Conditions"). In addition, there are a variety of special products and services offered through LDS Mission Network tha thave separate registration procedures and separate terms and conditions,terms of service, user agreements, or similar legal agreement. When you are using any service or product on LDS Mission Network that does not have a separate legal agreement, the Terms and Conditions set forth here will apply. LDSMN also may supplement the Terms and Conditions with posted guidelines or rules applicable to specific areas of the LDS Mission Network. In addition, the LDS Mission Network also may offer other services from time to time that are governed by the terms of service of the respective service partners.
Because the Terms and Conditions contain legal obligations, please read them carefully.
Please direct any policy questions to: LDSMN WAP Questions
By using the Products and Services, you agree, without limitation or qualification, to be bound by, and to comply with, these Terms and Conditions and any other posted guidelines or rules applicable to any individual LDS Mission Network web site, Product or Service. All such guidelines and rules are hereby incorporated by reference into the Terms and Conditions.
Use of the Products and Services is subject to compliance with these Terms and Conditions. You acknowledge and agree that LDSMN may terminate your access to the LDS Mission Network or to any of the Products and Services should you fail to comply with the Terms and Conditions or any other guidelines and rules published by LDSMN. Any webmaster whose site does not meet these minimum requirements will be notified via e-mail and given one month to bring their site into compliance. If after a month the site still does not meet the requirements and the webmaster is not making reasonable efforts to do so, the site will then be removed from the LDSMN listing and will be replaced.
LDSMN further reserves the right to terminate any user's access to the LDS Mission Network or to any of the Products and Services for any conduct that LDSMN, in its sole discretion, believes is or may be directly or indirectly harmful to other users, to LDSMN or its subsidiaries, affiliates, or business contractors, or to other third parties, or for any conduct that violates any local, state, federal, or foreign laws or regulations.
LDSMN does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. However, LDSMN strictly follows the guidelines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and requires webmasters to comply to these guidelines when designing and adding content to their site.
Most alumni Web sites ask for or require registration. While LDSMN requests and encourages webmasters to provide secure Web forms and to protect private information, please know that it may be possible for public information to be gathered by third-party visitors and programs. LDSMN does provide programs (such as Site-in-a-Box(tm) and RMDatabase) which provides security to private information. LDSMN encourages webmasters to use such programs.
Upon registering, you will receive a password and an LDS Mission Network ID. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and ID, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or ID. You agree to (a) immediately notify LDSMN of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. LDS Mission Network cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this requirement.
You acknowledge and agree that all information, code, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, pictures, graphics, video, chat, messages, files, or other materials ("Content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated.
This means that you, and not LDS Mission Network, are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email or otherwise transmit via the Services. LDS Mission Network does not control the user or third party Content posted via the Products and Services, and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such user or third party Content. You acknowledge and Agree that by using the Products and Services, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstances will LDS Mission Network be liable in any way for any user or third party Content, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any such Content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any such Content posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted via the Products and Services. As a general matter, LDSMN does not pre-screen user or third party Content posted on the Network, except for certain areas where LDSMN employs certain automated screening software, although LDSMN reserves the right to do so. LDSMN does not guarantee that any screening will be done to your satisfaction or that any screening will be done at all. LDSMN reserves the right to monitor some, all, or no areas of the Products and Services for adherence to these Terms and Conditions or any other rules or guidelines posted by LDSMN.
You agree that you will follow these minimum requirements in maintaining a mission alumni site:
* When possible, support the native language of the mission. Check our Language Selection page to find out more on how to support more than one language. Click Here
* Do not use the terms "official" or "unofficial" on your page. Saying that your page is "official" is dishonest, and saying that your page is "unofficial" is confusing.
* Add a standard disclaimer. To protect yourself and LDSMN, add the following disclaimer, or one similar:
"Neither this site nor any mission alumni page listed here has any legal relation to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or its associated entities."
* Do not use the Church logo. Both the new and old logos of the Church, and the name of the Church are registered trademarks. While use of the name to refer to the Church is not per se trademark infringement, implied official statements made under that name may be prosecutable. Be careful to indicate that statements made on your page are not intended as official doctrine or policy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
* Use an automated alumni/profile database. Hand-editing a page for each of your alumni is difficult to maintain and provides no security for private contact information. LDSMN has developed some excellent database programs that ease the work load and allow alumni to edit their own information at their leisure. Plus, as an administrator of your site, you can approve, edit, and delete any profiles that are entered. You can find the LDSMN automated databases in the Webmaster area. (NOTE: Login required)
* Give people ample opportunity to talk back. Your alumni are one of your best sources for new information about your mission. If they feel you're missing something, or if they feel something is superfluous, they'll tell you. Unless you were mission historian, chances are you'll need other RMs' submissions to make a complete page.
* Respond quickly to feedback. If you're going to be away from your page for days, weeks, or months, tell your readers! Better still, if you're going to be away that long, recruit someone to manage your page or contact LDSMN for assistance.
* Only deploy pages which you have completed. It is easy to get too busy to maintain a page every day and many visitors think a page has been abandoned or is not being updated when you have a constant "under construction" message.
* Provide clear, consistent navigation. Nothing is more irritating than getting lost on a Web site, with no clue where you are and no clear way out. If you use graphics to provide navigation, make sure you have alt tags with the navigation name inside. In addition, provide text navigation on your page (traditionally on the bottom).
* Provide diverse content. RMs, parents, pre-missionaries, and local members will all be using your site. Tailor your site to fit their needs. Among the items found on most successful mission web sites are:
* Be a good publicist. No one will care about your page if they have to stumble randomly upon it to find it. This is one of the advantages in registering with LDS Mission Network. Most of your publicity is handled right here. To get more information about listing your site on major search engines, optimizing your site with META tags, keywords, etc., please see our Webmaster area. (NOTE: Login required)
You agree that you will NOT use LDS Mission Network Products and Services to:
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any Content, or select any member or user name or email address, that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, libelous, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, sexually, ethnically or otherwise objectionable.
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any Content that promotes illegal activity, including without limitation the provision of instructions for illegal activity.
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any Content that exploits the images of children under 18 years of age, or that discloses personally identifying information belonging to children under 18 years of age.
* Harm minors in any other way.
* Make any sexual request on behalf of a minor or make any sexual request of a minor.
* "Stalk" or otherwise harass another.
* Collect or store personally identifying information about other users for commercial or unlawful purposes.
* Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a LDS Mission Network official, employee, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
* Employ misleading email addresses or falsify information in the header, footer, return path, or any part of any communication, including emails, transmitted through the Products and Services.
* Upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit, or post links to any Content that facilitates hacking.
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, service mark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party, or contributing to inducing or facilitating such infringement.
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation, except in those areas that are designated for such purpose.
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any material that contains software viruses, worms, Trojan horses, time bombs, trap doors or any other computer code, files or programs or repetitive requests for information designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment or to diminish the quality of, interfere with the performance of, or impair the functionality of the Products and Services or the Network.
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any Content regarding any raffle, contest or game requiring a fee by participants.
* Modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display or in any way exploit any Content from any LDSMN database, including, without limitation, by incorporating data from any LDSMN database into any e-mail or "white pages" products or serviced, whether browser-based, based on proprietary client-site applications, web-based, or otherwise.
* Misuse of system resources, including but not limited to: (a) knowingly employing programs which consume excessive CPU time or storage space, (b) the resale of access to CGI scripts installed on our servers, or (c) using LDSMN as a host to attack or compromise other systems on the Internet.
* Sell, distribute, or make any commercial use of data obtained from any LDSMN database or make any other use of data from any LDSMN database in a manner which could be expected to offend the person for whom the data is relevant.
* Create and maintain a LDS Mission Network web page as storage for remote loading, or as a door or signpost to another homepage.
* Create and maintain an LDSMN web page that contains hyperlinks to content not permitted on the Network.
* Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.
* Use the Products or Services to sell, purchase, or offer to sell any product or service, including the promotion of such. This policy is independent of and invariant with regard to the genre of product sold or being promoted. Companies selling or promoting LDS-oriented products or services will receive no special treatment with regard to this policy and should not inquire about the possibility of a variance.
* Decompile, disassemble, modify, translate, adapt, reverse engineer, create derivative works from, or sublicense any software deployed in connection with the Products and Services.
* Upload, post, email, otherwise transmit, or post links to any material, or act in any manner, that is offensive to LDS Mission Network community, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the spirit of these Terms and Conditions.
* Create a site for an individual mission president. Represent the entire mission as best you can.
* Duplicate another mission page. Competing mission pages drain resources and alumni from each other.
You expressly acknowledge and agree that LDS Mission Network may preserve Content (including, but not limited to database information) and may also disclose Content in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce the Terms and Conditions; (c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third-parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of LDSMN, its users and the public.
You acknowledge and agree that the technical processing and transmission of the Products and Services, including your Content, may involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
Without in any way limiting the prohibition on your assignment, or other transfer of rights or obligations, these Terms and Conditions shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective heirs, successors, and assigns.
Webmasters who lose interest or no longer have time to work on their page are asked to notify LDSMN so the content is not lost while a new webmaster is being found.
Mission pages should not be transferred to people who did not serve in the mission, if it can be avoided. Most persons who did not serve in the mission lose interest very quickly in running the alumni pages, even if they live in the mission.
LDSMN will work in providing a temporary webmaster, if needed.
LDSMN reserves the right to communicate with you regarding your use of the Products and Services. You will be subscribed to the webmaster mailing lists to receive periodic messages and announcements from LDSMN. You will be required to maintain an active e-mail address and notify LDSMN when it changes. You can update your profile in the Webmaster area. (NOTE: Login required)
LDS Mission Network is always improving its Products and Services and developing new features. If you have ideas regarding improvements or additions to the Network, we would like to hear them --but any submission will be subject to these Terms and Conditions. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL ANY DISCLOSURE OF ANY IDEA OR RELATED MATERIALS TO LDSMN BE SUBJECT TO ANY OBLIGATION OF CONFIDENTIALITY OR EXPECTATION OF COMPENSATION. BY SUBMITTING THE IDEA AND/OR ANY RELATED MATERIAL TO LDSMN, YOU ARE WAIVING ANY AND ALL RIGHTS THAT YOU MAY HAVE IN THE IDEA OR ANY RELATED MATERIALS AND ARE REPRESENTING AND WARRANTING TO LDSMN THAT THE IDEA AND/OR RELATED MATERIALS ARE WHOLLY ORIGINAL WITH YOU, THAT NO ONE ELSE HAS ANY RIGHTS IN THE IDEA AND/OR MATERIALS AND THAT LDSMN IS FREE TO IMPLEMENT THE IDEA AND TO USE THE MATERIALS IF IT SO DESIRES, AS PROVIDED OR AS MODIFIED BY LDSMN, WITHOUT OBTAINING PERMISSION OR LICENSE FROM ANY THIRD PARTY.
As a qualifying webmaster part of the Network, feel free to use and post the LDS Mission Network button on your site. Information on how to add this graphic and link are available at: