President Miller has spent more than 30 years in various management enterprises, but he is very willing to devote full-time service to the Lord.
Presdient Miller was born on April 2, 1936 in Los Angeles, he spent his youth in California until his mission to Uruguay in 1956. As a young child of five I became aware of the Savior, says Elder Miller, who, along with two brothers, was raised by his mother. At the age of 16, I received my patriarchal blessing, which talked of my serving a mission. I hadnt thought much about it, but by the time I was 18 I knew it was right.
Following his mission, he earned a bachelors degree from Brigham Young University, then a masters degree in international management from the University of Southern California. He married Laurel Lee Chandler on June 24, 1960.
After accepting a position in Palo Alto, California, he served as a counselor to then-bishop Henry B. Eyring in the Stanford Ward. In time he served as bishop, then high councilor. In 1979, he was called to preside over the Venezuela Caracas Mission. Four of the Millers five children accompanied them to South America. Upon his return, he was called as president of the Menlo Park California Stake.
He spent 12 years as an executive of Syntex, a pharmaceutical company, then was a cofounder of Zenger-Miller, a management training company. For the past eight years, he has been a business adviser to international high-technology companies in their early stages.
Not long ago, he and his wife felt inspired that they should sell their home, not knowing where they might go. Two days after it sold, he was contacted for a call to serve as an Area Authority in the North America Southeast Area. He and his wife made their home in Puerto Rico, where he has been involved in helping to strengthen the Church, primarily in the Caribbean. Some of his work has been to help introduce the welfare services program into the Caribbean. He has also helped organize two stakes in Puerto Rico.
I am grateful to use my management experience in serving the Lord by helping to train new leaders, he says.
News of the Church, Ensigh, May 1997.
- Grampa Bill's General Authority Pages
- News of the Church, Milestones for Four New Temples, Ensign, Nov. 1996, 105.
Elder Dale E. Miller, Area Authority, conducted the ceremony at the Santo Domingo Dominican Republic Temple.
- News of the Church First Presidency Calls Area Authorities, Ensign, Oct. 1995, 74
President Miller served in the North America Southeast Area.
- The Sustaining of Church Officers Ensign, May 1997, 7.
President Miller was sustained as a member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy
- News of the Church, New Leaders Called, 3 New Quorums of 70 Formed, Ensign, May 1997, 101.
Called to the Second Quorum of the Seventy were 11 new General Authorities including President Miller.
- Called to Serve, New Era, July 1997, 8.
The 167th Semiannual General Conference brings new organizational changes and new leadership.
- News of the ChurchNew Area Presidencies, Ensign, Sept. 1997, 74
President Miller serves in the Mexico North Area.
- The Kingdom's Perfecting Pathway by Elder Dale E. Miller Of the Seventy, Ensign, May 1998, 29.
- Building the Kingdom of God Lesson 10, The LDS Woman, Part B, GOSPEL PRINCIPLES AND DOCTRINE, 73.
Contains a quote from Conference Report, Apr. 1998, 37; or Ensign, May 1998, 29-30.
- News of the Church, New Area Presidency Assignments, Ensign, Sept. 1998, 72
President Miller served in the Mexico North Area.
- News of the Church, Colonia Juárez Temple Groundbreaking, Ensign, May 1998, 117.
Also participating in the services were President Miller and Elder Valdéz of the Mexico North Area Presidency.
- News of the Church New Area Presidency Assignments Ensign, Sept. 1999, 74
President Miller served as president of the Chile Area.
- News of the Church Packer and Oaks Meet with Chilean Leaders, Ensign, Dec. 1999, 65
Accompanied by President Miller, they met with the president of the senate, with the mayor of Santiago, and with a presidential candidate.
- News of the ChurchEnsign, Aug. 2000, 72
President Miller continued to serve as president of the Chile Area.
- News of the Church New Area Presidency Assignments, Ensign, Aug. 2001, 76
President Miller served in the North America Southwest Area.
- Friend to Friend: Guided by the Holy Ghost by J. Pinborough and D. Miller, Friend, Oct. 2001, 8