Top Shadow
  Image Courtesy Alex Hoffmann

  Venezuela Caracas

Border Shadow
   Webmaster: Erin Other Languages:    
Username: Password: Help Type:
Help Remember Me:

Stories: The Opening of Maracaibo (English and español)

Displaying 1 - 1 of 1 -- Add Story

The Opening of Maracaibo (English and español) 05 Jun 2002
Haga cliq aquí para leer en español.

The Opening of Maracaibo, Venezuela for the Preaching of the Gospel

Dedicated to the People of Venezuela and in Memory of Elder Neil O. Gruwell and Elder Drew F. Miles and in Appreciation of the Many Missionaries Who Contributed to this History

(Compiled by Alan K. Manning - August 2000)

On the evening of June 26th, 1967, all the missionaries serving in San Jose, Costa Rica and in the surrounding areas were invited to a special Family Home Evening at the home of President and Sister Ted E. Brewerton. That night President Brewerton, President of the Central American Mission, made an important announcement. He said that Maracaibo, the second largest city in Venezuela, was going to be opened up for the preaching of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. At that time, Venezuela was part of the Central American Mission, which was headquartered in San Jose, Costa Rica. The initial missionary efforts in Maracaibo would be the responsibility of four Elders, two coming from Caracas, Venezuela and two from Central America. The four missionaries selected for this important assignment were Elder Floyd S. Baum and Elder David C. Bell, two of the original four missionaries, who had opened up Venezuela for the preaching of the gospel just a few months prior (November 29,1966). The other two missionaries were Elder Stephen L. Jensen, who was at the time serving as an Assistant to President Brewerton and Elder Stephen L. Edmunds, the newest elder in this group of experienced missionaries.

The missionaries coming from Caracas, Elder Bell and Elder Baum, came in the mission vehicle, a light blue Volkswagen "bug", driven by Elder Neil O. Gruwell and accompanied by his companion, Elder Alan P. Pinborough. Elder Gruwell was the zone leader and assistant to the president who was in charge of all missionary work in Venezuela and was one of the first four elders to arrive in the county the previous November. Somehow, Elder Baum and Elder Bell were able to load all their worldly possessions into and on top of the small Volkswagen. After an eleven-hour drive in the crowded car, the four elders arrived in Maracaibo. They drove around for the remainder of the day to get a feel for the city and to find a temporary place for Elder Baum and Elder Bell to stay. The next day, Elder Pinnborough says on the drive back to Caracas they ran into rainy weather. Elder Gruwell, who did all the driving, lost control of the car on the slick road. The little Volkswagen ended up spinning completely around in the middle of the freeway. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the car wasn't damaged. They continued their trip and arrived safely back in Caracas without further incident.

The two Elders from Central America left San Jose, Costa Rica on July 6, 1967 and flew to Panama, where they had an overnight lay over. The missionaries slept the night in a local chapel because that was the only accommodations that they could find. The next day they boarded their flight for South America. After a stop in Barranquilla, Columbia they landed in Maracaibo on July 7th, 1967 where they were met by Elder Bell.

Elder Edmunds and Elder Bell were assigned as companions. They stayed in a small motel where the owners let them use their kitchen, so they had some place to cook their meals. They lived there for just one week until they could find more permanent living accommodations. They found a "pension" (boarding house) and rented one of the small rooms located behind the garage in the back. They ate their meals in the garage that had been converted into a dining area.

Elder Jensen and Elder Baum stayed in a "pension" hotel, until they could find a more suitable place to live. They ended up renting a room from Doña Aura and her husband. They lived on the third floor of a modest, middle class apartment building and would rent out rooms to single men. The apartment house was located next to one of Maracaibo's major "avenidas" (avenues) and was close to shopping and public transportation.

The missionaries did not waste any time and went right to work. Elder Bell and Elder Edmunds did the first “tracting” in Maracaibo. Elder Bell gave the first "door approach" and then Elder Edmunds the second. The missionaries were able to get in almost every door because as Elder Edmunds said, "No one knew who we were or what we were doing!”

The first Sunday school was held on July 9th in the home of an investigator, just two days after the missionaries had arrived in Maracaibo. That evening Sacrament Meeting was held in the elders' room with just the four missionaries in attendance. Elder Edmunds gave a short talk and they blessed and passed the sacrament among themselves and then ended the meeting. For the first two and a half months all their church services were held in their rooms but the missionaries said that the spirit was still strong, even though they did not have a formal place to meet.

The next day Monday, July 10th the elders took a photograph of themselves and information about the Church to the local newspaper to be published. Elder Baum and Elder Jensen also contacted the mayor of Maracaibo and the chief of police to let them know that the missionaries were there and that they were planning on preaching the gospel to the citizens of the city. They required the missionaries to submit a letter to them, explaining in detail their intentions. After several letters were rejected, they were finally given official permission to begin teaching the gospel in Maracaibo. In addition, Elder Baum and Elder Jensen contacted several local radio stations. They offered these stations the use of a variety of taped Church programs that the missionaries had brought with them, just for that purpose.

Elder Baum reports in a letter written to a fellow missionary (Elder Fred Podlesny), that the first month in Maracaibo was similar to his experience in Caracas where he and Elder Gruwell spent most of their time running around looking up referrals and giving lessons. Elder Baum and Elder Jensen had already given two first discussions and one second plus several "charlas" or missionary firesides. He went on to say, "Elder Jensen and I work on the spirit. We haven't been rejected at a door yet. It's just that we haven't had to out-right tract as yet."

Elder Baum goes on to relate a spiritual experience that he and his companion had. They were given a referral to a man who lived a little ways outside of town. They found his house but unfortunately he was not at home. The Elders were feeling like they had wasted their time but while walking down the road, Elder Jensen offered to buy his companion a soda pop at a small neighborhood "tienda" or store. While in the store, they noticed a young man about twenty years old. They began talking to him and told him about the Church. The young man seemed interested in what they had to say and he agreed to a day and time to meet with the missionaries. After the first missionary discussion, the young man invited the elders back to talk with him again. This time he had twenty of his friends and family waiting to listen to the missionaries' message about the restored gospel. Elder Baum credits the spirit for prompting Elder Jensen to stop at the store so they could meet that special young man.

The next week, on July 17th and 18th, the four new missionaries and President Brewerton met at the Hotel Lago for the first missionary conference to be held in Maracaibo. Many subsequent missionary conferences were held at that same hotel, located on the shores of Lake Maracaibo.

On Sunday, July 30th the four recently arrived missionaries attended church services at Christ's Church, a local interdenominational congregation, attended by mostly North Americans living in Maracaibo. The minister was quite surprised to find out that there were Mormon missionaries working in the local area.

In spite of their warm welcome by the people of Maracaibo, the work was slow and no one as yet was ready to accept the message of the gospel.

One of the first things that stands out about Maracaibo and the surrounding area is the oppressive tropical heat and humidity, as well as its proximity to Lake Maracaibo, the largest lake in South America. On occasions when it did rain, clouds of steam would often billow up so thick, it looked like fog had rolled in. Another unique feature about the lake is that it rests on a large oil reserve and its surface is dotted with oilrigs. It is common to see oil tankers plying the waters of the lake as they come and go with their valuable cargo. The lake is spanned by one of the longest reinforced concrete bridges in the world.

This small nucleus of missionaries was soon expanded to include four more Elders who were transferred from Caracas. On August 16, 1967 Elder Dennis Roberts, Elder Dennis A. Love, Elder Lynn P. Heward and Elder Jeffrey G. Pearson arrived in Maracaibo. They were able to find additional accommodations at the "pension" and apartment house where the other missionaries were living. This was another outstanding group of elders and they gave added strength and encouragement to the original group of missionaries.

On September 8th, after receiving permission from President Brewerton, all eight missionaries serving in Maracaibo left by "por puesto" (taxi) to take an overnight trip to the city of Merida, located high (5,396 ft.) in the Andes mountains of Venezuela. While in Merida, the missionaries took the opportunity to ride the famous "teleferico" cable car system. The "teleferico" is the longest (7.76 miles) and highest (15,626 ft.) cable car system in the world. A ride to the top offers spectacular views of the city of Merida and the surrounding area. On a clear day you can see into the neighboring country of Columbia. The Elders were favorably impressed and upon their return they recommended to President Brewerton that he send missionaries to open up this area of the country to the preaching of the gospel.

After returning to Maracaibo, the eight elders resumed their missionary labors in earnest. This consisted mainly of "tracting" door to door for several hours each day in the hot sun and high humidity, in an effort to find someone to teach and baptize. In spite of the slow progress of the work, not all their efforts were in vain. Elder Edmunds records that on September 13th, he and his companion, Elder Bell, went to a local university and showed a filmstrip about the Church to a group of around one hundred college students.

Up until this time, the missionaries were still holding church services in their living quarters. On Sunday, September 17th, the elders began holding their services at a local private school, El Centro de Bellas Artes. Elder Baum and Elder Jensen made arrangements to rent a room in the school that was large enough to hold about twenty people. They began holding sacrament meeting there each Sunday morning at 10:00 AM.

On the 2nd of October, Elder Courtney (Dan) Daniels and Elder Neil Gruwell arrived in Maracaibo from Caracas to work with the missionaries for a few days. The Elders looked forward to these visits from the zone leader. It gave them the opportunity to visit with old missionary acquaintances, receive news about the growing branch of the Church in Caracas, as well as renew their missionary zeal and enthusiasm.

The missionaries' efforts were beginning to pay off and on October 15th, Elder Edmunds reports, "Investigator Remin, wife, and child, along with six other investigators attended church services. Elder Dennis Love, at about the same time writes, "We were having some success with individuals in Maracaibo but President Brewerton asked us to hold off and concentrate on families."

A few days later, on October 20th, Elder Daniels was assigned to Maracaibo as the new zone leader. His new companion was Elder Love. Another missionary, Elder Stephen L. Green, was also transferred from Caracas to Maracaibo at about this same time. He traveled by himself, taking a bus to Merida, where he hired a "por puesto" to drive him the rest of the way to Maracaibo. These transfers became necessary because two missionaries were leaving Venezuela. Elder Jeffrey Pearson, who was made an assistant to President Brewerton , was returning to the mission headquarters in San Jose, Costa Rica to begin his new duties. The second missionary, Elder David Bell, was flying back to Central America to become a district leader in San Pedro Sula, Honduras

On Friday evening, November 3, two veteran missionaries arrived in Maracaibo to replace Elder Baum and Elder Jensen, two of the original four missionaries to open up Maracaibo. These two dedicated elders were returning home after successfully completing their missionary service in both Central America and Venezuela. Elder Dennis W. Clark and Elder Alan K. Manning arrived in Maracaibo at 7:05 PM, after a twelve hour bus ride from Caracas. The Elders arrived hot and tired but glad to be at their final destination. They had a harrowing experience on the bus ride from Caracas. A couple of hours outside of Maracaibo; on a long, straight, stretch of road, a small truck made a right hand turn on to the highway, directly in front of them. The fully loaded bus was traveling at a high rate of speed and could not stop in time to miss the slow moving truck. The driver was forced to swerve into the opposite lane and then back again to avoid a collision. The bus rocked precariously to one side and then the other in response to this sudden maneuver. Fortunately, the driver was able to keep the bus under control. No one was injured nor was any of the luggage or cargo located on top of the bus lost or damaged.

In Maracaibo there was no one to meet Elder Clark and Elder Manning at the bus station. The newly arrived missionaries went to the All American Cable Co. to look for the local missionaries' address, which they were successful in obtaining. A short time after leaving the cable office, the elders ran into the missionaries who had been sent to meet them but had been delayed.

Elder Clark was assigned to work with Elder Edmunds, and Elder Manning and Elder Roberts were assigned as companions. The latter two missionaries had arrived in the mission field together over a year earlier and they were glad to be reunited once again. Elder Manning records in his missionary journal, "I like it here in spite of the heat etc. Elder Roberts and I are having a ball together. We are speaking Spanish to each other all the time. I expect that it should help me very much."

Elder Roberts and his companion lived in a room rented out by Senora Aura. Elder Heward and Elder Green lived downstairs on the second floor but they ate their meals with the other two missionaries. Elder Roberts and Elder Manning's room was originally the maid's quarters and was quite small but it did have its own bathroom and shower. Unfortunately, this room was not air-conditioned and had only a large fan that the missionaries kept running all night, so they could sleep. Elder Roberts was particularly affected by the heat and by noon he could literally wring perspiration out of his handkerchief. When he would return to their apartment for lunch he would have to hang up his white shirt and pants to dry.

On Monday evening, November 20th, 1967, President Brewerton flew into Maracaibo for a missionary conference. He had just returned from Mexico where he attended a meeting for mission presidents. The next day the missionaries had interviews with President Brewerton and a testimony meeting to conclude their conference. The elders were hoping to get some additional information about the future of the missionary effort in Venezuela. There was already speculation that Venezuela would soon become a separate mission.

Some of the best missionaries in Central America and Venezuela had been sent to Maracaibo to open the door for the preaching of the gospel to the people of that city. In spite of their early successes, long hours of hard work and fervent prayers, they had not seen even one person in almost five months, enter the waters of baptism!

As the holiday season drew near the elders were invited to eat their first Thanksgiving dinner in Maracaibo at the local Christ's Church. They were served the traditional turkey and dressing with homemade rolls, along with other traditional holiday foods. It was a welcome change of diet for the elders to be able to eat real American food. The Reverend Firby, who showed many kindnesses to the missionaries, was in charge of this mainly North American congregation. Many of the North Americans, who the elders had met tracting, were also in attendance at this special holiday dinner.

Gradually, the work began to improve and on Sunday, December 3, Elder Edmunds reports that he gave the first priesthood lesson ever given in Maracaibo and that there were many investigators out to church. In a letter written to his family, dated December 7, 1967, Elder Manning writes, "It was fast and testimony meeting last week (Dec. 3) and there was in attendance about six investigators, the most that have ever been out since I have been here (30 days). The meeting was well conducted and the testimonies of the elders were impressive. Two of the elders have a family that looks like they will be baptized, they were out again last week." Elder Roberts and his companion had their first investigator out to church. She was a lady of about 40-45 years of age and seemed quite interested.

Elder Manning went on to write, "The Zone Leader (Elder Podlesny) will be over the 16th(of December) work with the Elders. He will drive over in his little blue Volkswagen. Four Elders will open another city at the end of this month (December 1967). So far we don't know who will open up the new town, we will have to wait and see. It (Valencia) is located about 90 kilometers outside of Caracas and is a nice little city. There are two American member families there already. All the elders are anxious to know when Merida will be opened up. It is a small tourist town in the Andes Mountains. I have seen pictures of it and it looks just like Switzerland. There is snow in the mountains and trout fishing in the streams near by. The world's biggest cable car system is located there also."

The day the zone leader, Elder Fred Podlesny, and his companion, Elder Drew Miles, came to work with the missionaries, Elder Sparks and Elder Everett were transferred to Maracaibo from Caracas.

Several of the elders spent Christmas Eve at the home of Elder Green and Elder Heward's investigators, the Tretmanis family. They served the missionaries the traditional Venezuelan Christmas dish of "hallacas" or tamales wrapped in "platano" (banana) leaves and special bread that had raisins and ham swirled inside the loaf. The missionaries joined the family in song and later spent time playing with their two small children.

This fine family had committed to baptism but unfortunately they were being transferred to the United States to receive some advanced computer training. In addition, they didn't think they could pay their tithing after going over their finances, so they postponed their baptism. One of the missionaries writes, "they are really good people, they aren't the kind that will join the Church without meeting all the requirements and without complying with all the commandments."

On a hot (95 degrees) Christmas Day, Elder Roberts and Elder Manning were treated to a special dinner by their landlady, "La Senora Aura" (Mrs. Aura). She prepared the traditional "hallacas" filled with raisins, chicken, hominy, red peppers, pickled green peppers, onions, and chick peas, cornmeal and wrapped in banana leaves and then boiled. The missionaries were also served tasty Italian raviolis filled with cheese and spices (the landlady's husband was Italian).

Just a few days after Christmas, December 29, 1967, another exceptional missionary, Elder Courtney Daniels, was released to return home. Elder Daniels was one of the first eight missionaries to enter Venezuela and had entered the country the previous February. One of Elder Daniel's old companions said that he was the best missionary he had ever served with. On his return trip back to the United States, he was able to visit other areas of the mission as well as areas of interest in both Mexico and Central America.

On the same day, Elder Steve Edmunds, one of the four original missionaries to open up Maracaibo for the preaching of the gospel, was transferred to Caracas to train a new missionary.

The New Year brought with it new hope, and on January 16, 1968, six long months after the first missionaries arrived in Maracaibo, history was made! Brother and Sister Tretmanis became the first converts in Maracaibo to be baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! Their two children, a daughter and a son, were too young to be baptized at that time. The Tretmanis' were taught and baptized by Elder Stephen Green and Elder Lynn Heward. The missionaries used the baptismal font at Christ's Church for this very special occasion. The Reverend Firby was in attendance along with all the missionaries who were serving in Maracaibo at the time. The service was simple but the spirit was strong.

The story of the Tretmanis family's conversion to the gospel is a simple one. Late one afternoon, Elder Heward and Elder Green were "tracting" in their area when they knocked on the Tretmanis' door. Sister Tretmanis, a native of Mexico, was home with her two small children. She invited the missionaries in and after hearing about the restored gospel for the first time; she expressed an interest in learning more about the Church. While the elders were still there, Brother Tretmanis returned home. He was an impressive but quiet spoken man. He was a native of Latvia and had been pressed into the German Army as a youngster during World War ll. He escaped during the Red Army invasion of Germany and eventually made his way to Venezuela. Sister Tretmanis was an accomplished singer and had sung professionally in Mexico. Brother and Sister Tretmanis invited the missionaries back after that first visit and as Elder Green says, "they were a 'golden' family and were ready and waiting for the gospel."

Just a few days after Brother and Sister Tretmanis' baptism, Elder Lynn Heward and Elder Dennis Roberts were transferred to open up the city of Valencia. Elder Cannon would join them from Caracas and Elder Blake would fly in to Maracaibo from San Jose, Costa Rica and leave for Valencia with Elders Roberts and Heward. The night before the missionaries left to open up the city of Valencia, Elder Douglas Stevenson arrived from Caracas to work with Elder Manning, as his new companion. The day the missionaries left for Valencia, Elder Clark and Elder Manning received word from President Brewerton that they would be leaving in February to open up the city of Merida. Elder Bill Wingo and Elder Nathan Richards, who were serving in Caracas would be joining them.

On the first of February, President Brewerton and Elder Theodore Tuttle of the Council of Seventy arrived in Maracaibo from Caracas for a missionary conference. Elder Tuttle took time to interview each missionary individually. After the interviews they held a testimony meeting. In his general remarks afterwards, Elder Tuttle challenged the missionaries as a group to work harder, at least 74 hours a week. He also challenged the Elders to be more effective teachers of the gospel, to bare their testimonies more frequently to the people and to present more missionary discussions. It was an excellent conference and was enjoyed by all the missionaries in attendance.

Two days later, on February 3, 1968, Elder Green and Elder Heward baptized another wonderful family, the Ametranos. Brother and Sister Ametrano were baptized along with three of their four daughters. The youngest daughter, Yolanda or Yoli for short was not yet eight years old and could not be baptized with the rest of her family. Jennie was the oldest daughter and was seventeen years old at the time of her baptism. Her younger sisters, Alba Marina and Elisa were about nine and eleven years of age when they were baptized. Brother Ametrano was originally from Argentina and Sister Ametrano was from Columbia. David Gonzalo Valecillos, a young single man, was baptized the same day as the Ametrano family.

Elder Green was an amazing missionary! It seemed like wherever he served, whether it was in Central America, Caracas or Maracaibo, he had the ability of finding people who had an interest in the message of the restored gospel. . He was not an imposing person physically, he was short, slight of build, had red hair, freckles and wore glasses but he had a big smile and a sparkle in his eye that drew people to him. Elder Heward was another outstanding missionary. He was reserved but had a sense of humor and wasn't afraid to play an occasional practical joke on his companion or one of the other missionaries. Although larger of stature and with blond hair, he had one characteristic in common with Elder Green. They both had the ability to get along with others, both fellow missionaries and the people they were called to teach.

Even though the missionaries were sowing lots of seeds, they were harvesting just a handful of souls and these first baptisms did much to buoy their spirits. Elder Manning writes in his journal, "Right now the work is hard, but some day it should boom big here in Venezuela. I don't know when that will be, but it will be after my days as a missionary." Over time, Elder Manning's words proved to be true and today in the year 2000, almost thirty-three years after the first missionaries knocked on the first door in Maracaibo, the church is booming in this area of the world. President Gary Wight, President of the Maracaibo, Venezuela Mission (1997-2000) and a former Venezuelan missionary, reports that people are now being baptized at the rate of five hundred new members per month! There are now six stakes of Zion in the city of Maracaibo alone (June 2000)! This is a level of success and growth that the first missionaries could only hope for and dream about. In his dedicatory prayer, opening the door for the preaching of the gospel in Venezuela, President Marion G. Romney, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, prayed "people would come into the Church in great numbers". That time has come and we are now witnessing the fulfillment of Elder Romney's prophetic, dedicatory prayer!


Dedicada al pueblo de Maracaibo y a la memoria de los misioneros, Elder Neil O. Gruwell y Elder Drew F. Miles y con gratitud a todos los que contribuyeron con esta historia

Por Alan K.
Recopilador, Investigador y Editor

(Corregida, marzo de 2002)

El Presidente Ted E. Brewerton de la Misión Centroamericana, invitó a todos los misioneros que servían en San José, Costa Rica y en sus alrededores a una noche de hogar muy especial. Se reunieron por la tarde, del 26 de junio de 1967, en la casa del Presidente y la Hermana Dorothy Brewerton . En aquella ocasión, él hizo un anuncio muy importante. El Presidente plació en informarles a todos presentes que pronto él les enviaría a cuatro misioneros a fin de abrir la segunda ciudad más grande en Venezuela, Maracaibo, para la obra del Señor. En esa época, Venezuela pertenecía a la Misión Centroamericana con sede ubicada en San José, Costa Rica. Él les informó a todos los que estaban reunidos que dos élderes partirían de Caracas y dos vendrían de Centroamérica. Los primeros cuatro misioneros enviados a Maracaibo fueron los siguientes; Elder Floyd S. Baum y Elder David C. Bell (éstos fueron dos de los primeros cuatro misioneros enviados a fin de abrir Venezuela para la obra del Señor, el 29 de noviembre de 1966) y los otros dos misioneros se llamaban Elder Stephen L. Jensen, quien servía como asistente al presidente y Elder Stephen L. Edmunds, el más joven de este grupo de misioneros experimentados.

Los Elderes Bell y Baum viajaron en el vehículo de la misión desde el Distrito Federal. Este carrito era un Volkswagen "bug" de color azul pálido. Los misioneos cargaron muchas de sus maletas encima del techo del auto y metieron otras pertenencias en la maletera. Adicionalmente tenían que llevarse todos los folletos, Libros de Mormón, proyectores, filminas, ayudas visuales (flip charts), franelografo y otros enseres. Fue muy difícil cargar todo lo mencionado en el carro pequeño pero al final resultó bien. Elder Bell anotó en su diario que fue primera vez en un año y medio que él manejara un vehículo. Ellos estaban acompañados de Elder Alan Pinnborough y Elder Neil Gruwell.

Elder Gruwell era asistente al presidente y estaba a cargo de toda la obra misional en Venezuela. Al mismo tiempo desempeñaba las funciones del líder de zona de Caracas. Él fue uno de los primeros cuatro misioneros enviado a Venezuela en noviembre de 1966.

Estos pioneros misioneros viajaron once horas juntos en un auto muy lleno de personas, equipaje y enseres. Los cuatro elderes llegaron a Maracaibo por la tarde. Ellos viajaban por la ciudad para conocerla mejor y con el fin de conseguir alojamiento provisional para Elder Bell y Elder Baum.

Los dos élderes que viajaban de Centroamérica partieron de San José, Costa Rica el 6 de julio de 1967 y volaron a Panamá, donde se hospedaron por la noche. Éstos durmieron en una capilla local de la Iglesia porque no lograron conseguir alojamiento disponible. Al día siguiente montaron el avión nuevamente para su vuelo con rumbo a Sur América. Éstos hicieron escala en Barranquilla, Colombia antes de que arribaran a Maracaibo. Elder Bell fue al aeropuerto por ellos en el "Volkswagen" y los llevó al motel.

Elder Pinnborough relató que, al día siguiente, al regresar a Caracas llovía mucho. Elder Gruwell, quien manejaba, perdió el control del auto pequeño sobre el camino resbaloso. El carro dio una vuelta completa y se detuvo en plena autopista. Afortunadamente, nadie se lastimó y el vehículo no sufrió daños. Ellos continuaron su viaje y alcanzaron llegar a Caracas seguros y sin incidente.

Les asignaron a Elder Bell y a Elder Edmunds como compañeros. Éstos se hospedaban en un motel pequeño donde los dueños les permitían acceso al uso de la cocina para que pudieran preparar su comida. Estuvieron allí por una semana hasta que encontraran alojamiento fijo.

Éstos encontraron una pensión económica y alquilaron una habitación pequeña que estaba ubicada atrás de un garaje convertido en cocina y comedor.

Elder Jensen y Elder Baum formaron un compañerismo y se hospedaron en un hotel hasta que encontraran una vivienda más económica. Al final ellos alquilaron una habitación a la Doña Aura y a su marido. Este matrimonio tenía apartamento en el tercer piso de una construcción y alquilaban habitaciones a solteros. El edificio en donde vivían estaba localizado junto a una avenida principal. También estaba ubicado muy cerca del mercado y de las paradas de transporte público.

Los misioneros hicieron sus primeros esfuerzos misionales enseguida. Elder Bell y Elder Edmunds tocaron las primeras puertas en Maracaibo. Elder Bell tocó la primera puerta y Elder Edmunds tocó la segunda. La gente les acogió bien y éstos entraron a casi todas las casas que tocaron. Elder Bell explicó que, "ellos no sabían quienes éramos o lo que estábamos haciendo allí". En esa época el dilema que enfrentaban los primeros misioneros era que la gente no estaba dispuesta de citarse para que pudieran regresar en otra ocasión para compartir más sobre el evangelio restaurado.

Hicieron la primera escuela dominical el 9 de julio en la casa de un investigador, David G. Valecillos, solamente dos días después de haber llegado a Maracaibo. Por la tarde se juntaron para la reunión sacramental en una de las habitaciones de los misioneros (En aquel entonces era costumbre en la Iglesia reunirse por la mañana para la escuela dominical y la reunión del sacerdocio y por la tarde se hacía la reunión sacramental). Solamente estaban presentes los cuatro élderes en la primera reunión sacramental. Elder Edmunds dio un discurso corto y luego bendijeron y repartieron la santa cena. Después de hacerlo terminaron la reunión con una oración. Esta fue la primera reunión sacramental que se dio en Maracaibo. Por los primeros dos meses y medio se reunieron todos los domingos en una habitación de los misioneros. Los élderes explicaron que aunque se reunían solos sentían un espíritu muy bello en estas reuniones.

Mucho antes de la llegada de los primeros misioneros a Maracaibo, David G. Valecillos V. había leído en un ejemplar del "World Almanac" (Almanaque Mundial) en la biblioteca sobre los "Mormones". Él explica que, "...mi amor por la verdad me llevó a escribir una carta a la Iglesia en Salt Lake City. Donde allá me pusieron en comunicación con la Misión Centroamericana en San José, Costa Rica. Hubo por mucho tiempo intercambio de cartas en las cuales mis muchas preguntas fueron respondidas." Hermano Valecillos relata que él recuerda muy bien este primer servicio religioso que se llevó acabo en su casa y dice que "una mesita que se usó como atril existe todavía."

El Presidente Brewerton confirmó este intercambio de correspondencia y añadió que el Hermano Valecillos también le envió un libro. Él explicó que conoció a este hermano cuando visitó la ciudad de Maracaibo por primera vez (en julio de1967). El Hermano Valecillos pasó por el aeropuerto para darse a conocer al Presidente Brewerton .

Al día siguiente, lunes, 10 de julio, los élderes se tomaron una foto y la entregaron, con otros datos adicionales acerca de la Iglesia, al periódico local para que la publicaran. Los élderes Baum y Jensen también se comunicaron con el alcalde de Maracaibo y el jefe de la policía. Como cortesía, querían que ellos supieran que los misioneros estaban allí y tenían planes de predicar el evangelio restaurado a los ciudadanos de Maracaibo. Éstos exigieron a ellos que les entregaran una carta de introdución, explicandoles en detalle sus intenciones. Rechazaron varias cartas escritas por Elder Jensen pero al final obtuvieron permiso oficial para predicar el evangelio en la ciudad de Maracaibo. Elder Baum y Elder Jensen también pasaron por varias estaciones radiodifusoras. Las ofrecieron el uso de varios programas radiales producidos por la Iglesia para que los transmitieran a sus radio-oyentes. Por este medio la gente podría conocer a la Iglesia más rápido.

Elder Baum relató en un una correspondencia a otro misionero (Elder Fred Podlesny), que el primer mes en Maracaibo era igual a la experiencia que realizó en Caracas donde él y su compañero, Elder Gruwell, pasaron la mayor parte de su tiempo buscando y visitando a personas remitidas a ellos y presentándoles las charlas misionales. Elder Baum y Elder Jensen ya habían presentado la primera charla dos veces y la segunda una vez. Éstos también habían presentado varias charlas grandes con mucha gente presente. Él explicó que, "el Elder Jensen y yo andábamos con el espíritu. Ninguna persona nos había rechazado aún, razón por la cual, no teníamos que tocar puertas." Elder Baum seguía contando una experiencia espiritual que les ocurrió. Les referieron a un señor que vivía en las afueras de la ciudad. Éstos lograron encontrar la quinta que buscaban pero desafortunadamente no resultó bien porque el hombre no estaba en casa. En esos momentos, los élderes se hallaron un poco desalentados porque creyeron que mal gastaron el tiempo. Mientras regresaban se fijaron en una tienda pequeña que estaba ubicada por la calle. Elder Jensen le dijo a su compañero, 'vámonos a la bodega allí y yo le compro un refresco'. Esto le sorprendió mucho a Elder Baum porque su compañero, Elder Jensen, nunca le había regalado algo anteriormente. Mientras éstos estaban allí, conocieron a un joven de más o menos veinte años de edad. Le explicaron a él un poco sobre la iglesia restaurada. El joven tenía interés en el mensaje que le presentaron y los misioneros hicieron una cita para visitarle. Después de la primera charla el joven les invitó a los élderes que regresaran en otra ocasión. En la siguiente cita, veinte de sus amigos y familiares asistieron a la charla para escuchar el mensaje del evangelio restaurado. Elder Baum creó que el espíritu inspiró a Elder Jensen que entrara a esa tienda para que conocieran a este joven especial.

En la semana siguiente, los días 17 y el 18 de julio, los cuatro misioneros recién llegados y el Presidente Brewerton se reunieron en el Hotel Del Lago para la primera conferencia misional que se llevó acabo en Maracaibo. Después, muchas conferencias misionales se realizaron en ese Hotel, localizado a las orillas del Lago de Maracaibo.

El domingo, 30 de julio, los cuatro misioneros asistieron a una reunión de "Christ's Church", una congregación donde la mayor parte eran estadounidenses que vivían en Maracaibo. Le sorprendió al pastor saber que los misioneros Mormones estaban presentes en la ciudad.

A pesar de la bienvenida que los Maracuchos les extendieron a los misioneros, éstos estaban trabajando en condiciones muy difíciles. Esto se debía en gran parte al hecho de que no había ni un miembro de la Iglesia en toda la ciudad. Además, el intenso calor y la alta humedad que se encuentran en el estado Zulia afectaban mucho a los misioneros. El Presidente Brewerton había encargado a los misioneros una tarea difícil con un futuro incierto. Sin embargo ellos marchaban adelante con mucha fe para edificar a Sión en esta región del país.

Elder Bell anotó en su diario que aunque no lograron mucho éxito en las primeras semanas que estaban en Maracaibo los misioneros, por los menos, disfrutaban de los días libres. Salieron de paseo a Machiques, Lagunillas y El Castillo que estaba ubicado en San Carlos.

Este grupo pequeño de misioneros aumentó al transferir a cuatro misioneros más a Maracaibo. El 16 de agosto, Elder Dennis Roberts, Elder Dennis Love, Elder Lynn P. Heward y Elder Jeffrey G. Pearson llegaron a Maracaibo. Éstos llegaron de Caracas y lograron conseguir alojamiento en la misma pensión y en el mismo edificio donde se hospedaban los otros élderes. Este grupo nuevo de misioneros añadió mucho esfuerzo y estímulo a los demás.

El Presidente Brewerton y su esposa llegaron nuevamente a Maracaibo el día 2 de septiembre de 1967 para realizar una conferencia de misioneros. Se reunieron nuevamente en el Hotel del Lago.

Unos de los élderes conoció a un periodista del diario de inglés, 'The Daily Journal'. Él quería escribir un artículo sobre los misioneros. Él les dijo a ellos que podían entregar artículos a su periódico semanalmente.

El 8 de septiembre, después de conseguir permiso del Presidente Brewerton, los ocho misioneros que servían en Maracaibo salieron de paseo en carros por puestos con rumbo a la ciudad de Mérida. Mientras estaban allí subieron al famoso teleférico hasta el Pico Espejo. Les gustaba el hermoso paisaje Andino y las vistas espectaculares que se hallaban en las montañas. Los élderes estaban encantados con el pueblo tranquilo de esta ciudad Andina. Cuando regresaron a Maracaibo sugirieron al Presidente Brewerton que enviara a misioneros a Mérida lo antes posible

Al regresar a la ciudad de Maracaibo los misoneros empezaron nuevamente sus esfuerzos de edificar a Sión en esta ciudad petrolera. Pasaban la mayor parte de su tiempo, ocho a diez horas diarias, golpeando puertas en el calor insorportable y en la alta humedad. Buscaban, sin mucho éxito, a personas que tal vez estuvieran interesadas en el mensaje del evangelio restaurado. A pesar de laborar bajo estas duras pruebas la obra marchaba adelante paso a paso. Elder Edmunds contó que para el 13 de septiembre, él y su compañero, Elder Bell, visitaron a una universidad local para mostrar a un grupo de cien estudiantes una filmina ("film strip") que se trataba de la Iglesia. Durante esta misma época, Elder Baum se enfermó y fue al médico para averiguar su condición. Luego tuvieron que operarlo en el hospital de Maracaibo.

Hasta ahora los misioneros todavía estaban reuniéndose los domingos en sus habitaciones. A partir del 17 de septiembre, se reunían en una escuela particular llamada Centro de Bellas Artes. Elder Baum y Elder Jensen hicieron los arreglos para que alquilaran un salón en la escuela que tenía capacidad para veinte personas. Se reunían allí todos los domingos a las diez de la mañana.

El 2 de octubre, Elder Dan Daniels y Elder Neil Gruwell llegaron a Maracaibo para trabajar con los misioneros por dos días. A los élderes les gustaban estas visitas del líder de zona. Tenían la oportunidad de tratarse con los otros misioneros nuevamente y también informarse sobre cómo andaba la obra en Caracas.

Por fin los esfuerzos misionales empezaron a dar frutos. El 15 de octubre, Elder Edmunds anotó, "Investigador Remin, su esposa y niño, con seis investigadores más asistieron a las reuniones de la Iglesia". Elder Dennis Love escribió que, "Hemos tenido éxito con personas en Maracaibo pero el Presidente Brewerton nos pidió que esperáramos y que enseñáramos sólo a las familias".

Unos días más tarde transfirieron a Elder Daniels a Maracaibo como líder de zona. Su nuevo compañero fue Elder Dennis Love. Cambiaron a otro misionero, Elder Stephen Green, a Maracaibo al mismo tiempo. Éste se fue solo y subió al bus hacia Mérida y desde allí alquiló un carro por puesto para el viaje hasta Maracaibo. Se necesitaban estos cambios porque dos misioneros salieron Venezuela para Centroamérica. Llamaron a Elder Jeffrey Pearson como asistente al Presidente Brewerton y él regresó a San José, Costa Rica para desempeñar sus nuevas responsabilidades. El segundo misionero, Elder David Bell, regresó a Centroamérica a fin de servir como el nuevo líder de distrito en San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

El viernes por la tarde, 3 de noviembre de 1967, dos élderes experimentados llegaron a Maracaibo para reemplazar a Elder Baum y a Elder Jensen que habían regresado para casa. Estos élderes fieles eran dos de los primeros cuatro misioneros enviados a fin de abrir a Maracaibo para la obra del Señor. (Elder Jensen sirvió como presidente de la Misión Perú Trujillo, y Elder Baum ya sirve como obispo en Pleasant Grove, Utah.) Elder Dennis W. Clark y Elder Alan K. Manning llegaron a Maracaibo a las siete de la noche después de un viaje desde Caracas que duró doce horas. Éstos llegaron muy cansados y agotados por el calor y la humedad pero estaban felices de haber llegado seguros. A dos horas antes de llegar a Maracaibo el bus viajaba por la autopista cuando el conductor de un camión pequeño que viajaba por otra via, no los vio y hizo una vuelta directamente enfrente del bus. Éste estaba viajando velozmente y estaba cargado de pasajeros y equipaje y no le fue posible detenerse sin aplastar el camión pequeño. El conductor tuvo que echarse fuertemente a un lado para no chocar el camión. El bus ocilió peligrosamente pero el conductor por fin logró el control. Nadie se lastimó y afortunadamente no perdieron ni una maleta del equipaje que estaba en cima del techo.

Desafortunadamente, nadie vino por estos misioneros nuevos al llegar a Maracaibo. Por eso éstos fueron a la oficina de la empresa "All American Cable Company" a fin de buscar la dirección de los misioneros. Lograron obtenerla y al salir encontraron a los élderes Dennis Roberts y Lynn Heward. Éstos demoraron porque asistían a una reunión de cumpleaños para el director del periódico de inglés, 'The Daily Journal'.

Asignaron a Elder Clark como compañero de Elder Edmunds. Elder Manning y Elder Roberts formaron el otro compañerismo nuevo. Estos dos élderes llegaron juntos al campo misional hacía un año. Elder Manning contó que, "A mi me gusta (Maracaibo) a pesar del calor. Me alegro mucho de estar junto con Elder Roberts nuevamente. Estamos comunicándonos en español todo el día. Yo espero que me ayude mucho." (Era el costumbre de los misioneros en aquel entonces de hablar a su compañero solamente en inglés.)

Elder Roberts y su compañero vivían en una habitación en el apartamento de Doña Aura. Elder Heward y Elder Green se hospedaban en una habitación en un apartamento abajo del segundo piso pero éstos comían con los demás. Los Élderes Manning y Roberts se hospedaban en la habitación de la criada. Ésta era muy pequeña pero tenía su cuarto de baño con ducha. Desafortunadamente, la habitación no tenía aire acondicionado, sólo tenía un ventilador grande que se ensendía por toda la noche para que pudieran dormir. El calor afectaba mucho a Elder Roberts. Cuando él y su compañero regresaban al apartamento para almorzar, él tenía que colgar sus pantalones y camisa para que se les secara el sudor.

El lunes por la tarde, del 20 de noviembre de 1967, el Presidente Brewerton arribó a Maracaibo para una conferencia misional. Él acababa de llegar de una conferencia de presidentes de misiones que se dio en México. Al día siguiente el Presidente les entrevistó a los misioneros y después hicieron una reunión de testimonios para concluir la conferencia. Los élderes esperaban que el Presidente les informara sobre la organización de la nueva Misión Venezolana. Se decía que pronto se llevaría acabo.

La Iglesia había enviado algunos de los misioneros más capacitados en toda el area Centroamérica a Venezuela - Maracaibo a fin de predicar el evangelio restaurado a los habitantes de dicha ciudad. A pesar de los muchos esfuerzos y oraciones sinceras sobre el asunto, ninguna persona en más de cinco meses había aceptado el mensaje de la Iglesia restaurada de Jesucristo. Esto causó que los misioneros se hallaran desalentados.

El Pastor Firby de "Christ's Church invitó a los élderes para que asistieran a una cena de Acción de Gracias. Con mucho gusto los misioneros aceptaron la invitación. Éstos les sirvieron una cena con pavo asado, "dressing", pan fresco, puré de papas, postres como torta de auyama (pumpkin pie) y muchas otras comidas tradicionales. A los misioneros les gustó mucho la oportunidad de comer como en los Estados Unidos. Muchos de los estadounidenses que los élderes habían conocido tocando puertas asistieron a esta cena especial también.

La obra mejoraba y el domingo, 3 de diciembre, Elder Edmunds contó que él impartió la primera clase del sacerdocio en Maracaibo. Él tambien dijo que asistieron muchos investigadores a la reunión sacramental. En una carta a la familia, Elder Manning relató, " La semana pasada nos juntamos para la reunión de testimonios (3 de diciembre) y asistieron seis investigadores, lo más que han asistido desde que yo llegué aquí. Todo estuvo bien en la reunión y los testimonios de los misioneros fueron muy fuertes. Dos de los élderes enseñan a una familia que al parecer se bautizará; éstos asistieron a la reunión sacramental nuevamente." Una investigadora del Elder Roberts y su compañero asistió también. Ésta era una señora de cuarenta a cuarenta y cinco años de edad y estaba interesada en aprender más sobre la Iglesia restaurada.

Elder Manning seguía escribiendo, "El líder de zona (Elder Podlesny) llegará el 6 (de diciembre) …para trabajar con los élderes. Él vendrá en el Volkswagen (el auto de la misión). Cuatro élderes abrirán otra ciudad para los fines de este mes (diciembre de 1967). Todavía no sabemos quienes abrirán este nuevo pueblo, tendremos que esperar (para averiguar quienes lo harán). La ciudad (de Valencia) se queda más o menos noventa kilómetros de Caracas. Es una gran ciudad. Hay dos familias estadounidenses allí que son miembros de la Iglesia. Todos los élderes querían saber cuando van a abrir la ciudad de Mérida. Es un pueblo turístico localizado en la cordillera Andina. He visto fotos de ésta y se asemeja a Suiza. Hay nieve en las montañas y la pesca en los rios cercanos. El teleférico más largo del mundo está ubicado allí también."

El día en que llegó el líder de zona, Elder Podlesny, y su compañero, Elder Drew Miles, también llegaron los élderes Ron Sparks y Dennis Everett de Caracas.

Elder Stephen Jensen y su compañero, Elder Dennis Roberts, enseñaban a David Valecillos. Le enseñaron varias de las charlas pero en fin su bautismo no se llevó acabo. Pasaron varias semanas y David pasó por el apartamento de los misioneros y les explicó a ellos que él estaba pensando sobre su bautismo y deseaba continuar estudiando con los élderes. Elder Green y Elder Heward comenzaron a enseñarle nuevamente porque David vivía en la zona de la ciudad que estaba a cargo de ellos.

Algunos de los élderes fueron a la casa de la familia Tretmanis para celebrar la Nochebuena. Les sirvieron hallacas con huevos y pan mezclado con pasas y pedacitos de jamón (llamado pan de jamón). También interpretaron canciones de Navidad con la familia y jugaron con los niños. Resultó una noche muy agradable.

Esta buena familia resolvió bautizarse pero el jefe del Hermano Tretmanis iba a transferirle a los Estados Unidos a fin de recibir entrenamiento más advanzado sobre computadoras. Desqués de examinar su situación económica, éstos se dieron cuenta de que no tendrían los recursos para pagar los diezmos y por eso demoraron su bautismo. Uno de los misoneros escribió, "Éstos son buena gente, no se bautizarán como miembros de la Iglesia sin cumplir con todos los mandamientos y requisitos."

La Navidad fue muy calurosa. Doña Aura preparó una cena especial para los élderes Roberts y Manning. Ella les cocinó hallacas con pasas, maiz descascarillado, pollo, pimientas rojas, pimientas verdes en vinagre, cebollas, guisantes duros (chick peas), en masa de maiz. Ella también les sirvió carne frita y "raviolis" italianos con queso y especias (el marido de la doña era italiano).

Días después de Navidad, el 29 de diciembre de 1967, otro misionero destacado, Elder Dan Daniels se marchó a casa. Elder Daniels fue uno de los primeros ocho misioneros enviados a Venezuela y llegó al país el febrero de 1967. Uno de los compañeros de Elder Daniels, Presidente Gary Misión Venezuela Maracaibo), dijo que él fue el mejor misionero con quien él sirvió en el campo misional. (Elder Daniels entrenó a Presidente Brewerton envió una carta a los misioneros y les recomendó que bautizaran a la familia Tretmanis antes de que partiesen para los Estados Unidos. Él creía que ellos necesitarían la influencia del Espíritu Santo mientras estaban afuera del país. Iban a bautizarse en el Lago de Maracaibo pero estaba muy turbio. El día antes de la fecha fijada para su bautismo, Elder Roberts y su compañero pidieron al Pastor Firby de "Christ's Church" permiso para utilizar la pila bautismal. Él les dio el permiso pero les explicó que tendrían que limpiarla primero. El Pastor también les dijo que fue la primera vez de que recordaba haber utilizado la pila. Fue un tanque grande con una tapa y estaba colocada entre dos edificios atrás de la capilla. Los misioneros quitaron la tapa y encontraron la pila bastante sucia con muchas arañas y telarañas. Al día siguiente los Elderes Roberts y Manning salieron temprano de su apartamento y regresaron a la iglesia para limpiar la pila. Terminaron la tarea a las nueve. Se fueron a toda prisa a su apartamento para vestirse para el servicio bautismal que iba a comenzar a las diez de la mañana. El servicio se realizó en la capilla. El Pastor Firby asistió tal como los otros misioneros que servían en Maracaibo en aquel entonces; Elder Green, Elder Heward, Elder Roberts, Elder Manning, Elder Sparks, Elder Everett, Elder Clark y Elder Swenson. El servicio fué algo sencillo pero se sintió fuertemente el espíritu. Al día siguiente la familia Tretmanis se marchó para los Estados Unidos donde se quedarían por varios meses.

La conversión de la familia Tretmanis al evangelio es una historia sencilla pero a la vez Bella. Una tarde, Elder Heward y Elder Green estaban tocando puertas en su área cuando tocaron la puerta de la familia Tretmanis. La Señora Tretmanis, quien era de México, estaba en casa con sus dos niños pequeños. Permitió a los misioneros pasar y después de escuchar el mensaje del evangelio restaurado por primera vez expresó interés en saber más acerca de la Iglesia. Mientras los élderes estaban allí, regresó el Sr. Tretmanis. Él era un hombre tranquilo pero impresionante. Él era de Letonia y le reclutaron en el ejército alemán cuando era joven, durante la segunda guerra mundial. Él se fugó durante la invasión de alemania por los rusos y por fin llegó a Venezuela. Señora Tretmanis era cantante profesional en México. Los Tretmanis les invitó a los misioneros que regresaran después de la primera visita. Elder Green dijo que, "era una familia de oro y estaban listos para aceptar el evangelio."

El 16 de enero de 1968, Elder Heward y Elder Roberts recibieron una correspondencia del Presidente Brewerton. Él dijo que enviaría a ellos y a dos misioneros más a fin de abrir la ciudad de Valencia para la obra del Señor. Él les explicó que Elder Cannon viajando de Caracas se reuniría con los demás en Valencia. Elder Blake volaría primero a Maracaibo desde San José, Costa Rica y luego se marcharía para Valencia con los élderes Roberts y Heward. La noche antes de que ellos salieran para Valencia, Elder Douglas Stevenson llegó de Caracas para servir como el nuevo compañero de Elder Manning. El día en que los tres misioneros salieron para Valencia, el 19 de enero, Elder Clark y Elder Manning recibieron otra carta del Presidente Brewerton. Él les informó que iba a enviarlos con el fin de abrir la ciudad de Mérida para la obra misional en febrero, junto con los élderes Richards y Wingo.

En los primeros días de febrero, el Presidente Brewerton y Elder Theodore Tuttle de los Setenta llegaron a Maracaibo procedentes de Caracas para asistir a una conferencia de misioneros. Elder Tuttle entrevistó a cada misionero individualmente. Después de las entrevistas hicieron una reunión de testimonios. Luego Elder Tuttle desafió a los misioneros que trabajaran más, aun setenta y cuatro horas por semana. Él también les pidió que enseñaran mejor el evangelio, que dieran sus testimonios con más frecuencia al pueblo, y que presentaran más charlas misionales. Fue una conferencia muy beneficiosa y animó a todos que asistieron. En esta ocasión el Presidente Brewerton informó a Elder Clark y a Elder Manning que tendrían que posponer su salida para Mérida porque sus reemplazos todavía no habían adquirido sus visas. Fue un poco frustrante pero todos tomaron el lado positivo.

Dos días más tarde, el 3 de febrero de 1968, otra familia simpática se bautizó, la familia Ametrano. Se bautizaron el Hemano y la Hermana Ametrano y tres de sus cuatro hijas. La hija menor, Yolanda o Yoli no tenía ocho años y no pudo bautizarse con los demás. Jenni era la hija mayor y tenía diecisiete años cuando se bautizó. Las otras hijas, Alba Marina y Elisa tenían más o menos nueve años y once años cuando se bautizaron. El Hermano Ametrano fue de la Argentina y la Hermana Ametrano fue de Colombia. David Gonzalo Valecillos, el joven de veinte años que los misioneros habían enseñado anteriormente, se bautizó al mismo tiempo. Elder Green y Elder Heward les enseñaron el evangelio y Elder Green los bautizó.

Elder Green era un misionero muy destacado. No importaba donde el servía como misionero si estaba ubicado en Centroamérica, Caracas o Maracaibo, Elder Green tenía el don de encontrar a personas interesadas en escuchar el mensaje del evangelio restaurado. Físicamente, no era una persona impresionante, era bajo y delgado con cabello rojo y pecas grandes. A pesar de todo eso él era una persona muy humilde y siempre sonreía de oreja a oreja y tenía los ojos vivos. Elder Heward era otro misionero destacado. Él era una persona tranquila pero tenía un buen sentido de humor y de vez en cuando le hacía una broma a su compañero o a uno de los otros misioneros. Físicamente, era más grande con cabello rubio. Él tenía una característica en común con Elder Green. Ambos tenían la habilidad de llevarse bien con sus compañeros, los otros misioneros y con los que enseñaban.

Aunque los misioneros estaban echando muchas semillas estaban cosechando muy poco y estos primeros bautismos les fortalecieron mucho. Elder Manning escribió en su diario, "Por ahora la obra no anda bien pero algún día la obra brotará aquí en Venezuela. Yo no sé cuando pero sucederá después de que yo sea misionero." Estas palabras de Elder Manning se llevaron acabo y hoy en día más de treinta y tres años después de que Elder Bell tocó la primera puerta, la obra del Señor en Venezuela y sobre todo en Maracaibo, está marchando adelante velozmente. Ya están bautizando a más de cuatrocientas personas mensualmente en la Misión Maracaibo. ¡Para los primeros pioneros misoneros ni en sueños hubieran imaginado esto! Es un nivel de éxito que los primeros misioneros ni creían que era alcanzable. En su oración dedicatoria, el Elder Marion G. Romney del Quórum de los Doce Apóstoles, profetizó que, "muchisimos se bautizarán en la Iglesia (en Venezuela). ¡La hora ha llegado y las palabras del Elder Romneyen su oración inspirada estan cumpliendose!

Erin Send Email
Alumni [880]
Friends/Members [65]
Currently Serving [2]
Presidents [15]
News [6]
Messages [1]
Pictures [85]
Stories [29]
Polls [2]

Church News
Gospel Library
Mission Info
Mormon News
Just Called!
Password Help
El Nino Criollo
Temple Presidents

Invite a friend
Spacer Spacer
Bottom Shadow

Home · Alumni · Friends/Members · Currently Serving · Presidents · Reunions · News · Messages · Links · Pictures · Stories · Polls · Chat · Weather · Comments

LDS Mission Network

Copyright © 2002-2016 · Erin · Admistradora · All rights reserved.

Site-in-a-Box is a service mark of LDS Mission Network. Version 2.1